30 March 2006

Work and Overtime

When we talk about work, average people work from 8am to 5pm or 9am to 6pm, 5 times a week, some 5 and a half. Minus away lunch, it's about 8 hours a day, 40 - 44 hours a week.

If we spent 8 hours on work, 2 hours on traveling, 2 hrs on meal, 8 hours on sleep, we only left with 4 hours for ourself excluding the misc stuff we do daily. It's only enough to watch 2 dvd.

Some people work late to prove their commitment and loyalty for the company. To me, OT is inefficiency. We are in a world of technology, not production, times don't count like usual way. Work smart not hard. Here's the way I look at OT:

1. Inefficiency
2. Overloaded
3. Acting
4. Bad time management

For point 1, if you are not born with it, you have to work for it, or else you will need some luck. For point 2, it's very common in asia, you have to voice out, if no improvement was made, I suggest it's time to go. For point 3, I suggest you go hollywood if you can act well. For point 4, sometimes it's not your fault, someone screw up the timing, treat this as a challenge, I believe at least you can reduce OT if time is manage well.


Finally, think! Why you work so hard for? I guess must be for a 'reason' (family, money, meaning, etc). If you spend all your time on work, do you have time for the 'reason' you are working for.

*unless your reason for work is to spent all the time you have, then I suggest you give me your money, you don't have time to spent. :P

No comments: